for your hunt may seem daunting, but we at
have found that giving you a simple list of the BASIC or essential things that you will need, makes the planning easier.
- A hat
- Sunblock (Factor 30+)
- Binoculars - for the hunter, 8 power
- Camera - two if you have 1 hunter and 1 observer
When doing your safari planning, you need to be aware of the fact that our winter months are from May to September and although our days are usually warm, our evenings and nights are cold and temperatures drop below freezing. We do not have central heating in South Africa as most of our houses are geared for the heat. Due to this fact, you need to ensure that you have warm clothes for the evening/night times and warm clothes to sleep in.
Please note that the list below is for hunters clothing.
- Cotton short sleeved shirts (Khaki or camouflage)
- A sweater or light weight jacket (Khaki, camouflage or green)
- A few long sleeved shirts and a heavier jacket if you are coming in our winter months.
- Long trousers
- Thick socks, for wear under your boots to prevent blisters etc.
- Some clothes for evening time
- Casual shoes, slippers or sandals for wear around the camp
- Sleeping clothes
- Razors (NOT electric)
- Razor blades
- Brush and Comb
- Any vaccinations advised by your health care professional. (We are not in the yellow fever zones. If however you are travelling to us from a yellow fever zone, you are required to be vaccinated before entering South Africa.)
- IF we have indicated that we will be hunting in a MALARIA AREA, you need to visit with your family physician and obtain prophylaxis for CHLOROQUINE RESISTANT malaria strains.
- If you are on chronis medication, please ensure that you bring an adequate amount of the medication with you, and that you carry it in your HAND LUGGAGE where possible.
For information on which rifles to use on your safari,
We at Mkhamba Safaris feel that safari planning should be exciting, and needn't be a drag. If you are at all concerned about any aspect of your big game hunting trip, do not hesitate to